Monday, March 12, 2012

Campus Corps All-Star Member: Stone Child College's Maggie

I had a pancake breakfast program the other day on campus, and after the program was done later in the day, Maggie, one of my corps members, came by my office to see how I was doing.  When I had told her that the breakfast had been a success despite being planned on rather short notice, she was mad that I had forgotten to ask for her help. Normally, people are frustrated when you DO ask them for help, and not the other way around.  This is one of the reasons that I'm glad Maggie is on my team.

In our first year of having the Campus Corps here at SCC, our team for the whole first semester consisted of just Maggie and me, but I think we've done well. Filling the role of leader of a brand new program does make for an eclectic job, one of 'many hats' so to speak. It also means a lot of hiccups along the way and things not always working out the way you thought they would.  From the confusion that arose in the process of getting stipend checks set up to ever rescheduled meetings, there have certainly been some rocky patches that we have encountered.

Maggie more than exceeded my expectations and I think that she has dealt with those rocky patches better than I have.  She never complained and carried herself with a calm and composure that anyone would be jealous of.  Every time I gave her an assignment or new direction of service, she always faced it head on.  I don't feel anxious when I've given Maggie a task because she doesn't shrink from service.

On top of this, she has managed to balance family and school, getting over a 3.5 GPA  last semester.  I feel very fortunate to have Maggie on my team, and am confident that we will be successful next semester of Campus Corps.


post submitted by Stone Child College Campus Corps leader Michael Yegerlehner

No comments:

Post a Comment