Friday, July 13, 2012

Finding Her Home in Havre, MT


This Great Story was submitted by MSU-Northern's Campus Corps Leader, Grace Milanowski


"A Sense of Community"
 by Grace Milanowski 


One thing that I have enjoyed most about being part of Campus Corps is the diversity of volunteer work I am able to do because it has allowed me to fully experience the good characteristics of small town life. Moving to Havre was a bit of an adjustment for me from living in bigger cities my whole life-- but I was instantly impressed with the welcome I received. My volunteering this year has allowed me to experience first-hand this town’s cohesiveness, incredible generosity and willingness to help their neighbors in need. From things like volunteering regularly at the soup kitchen, registering donors for blood drives, helping kids make recycled crafts at one time events and site visits to farmers’ and ranchers’ land, I constantly met people who were invested in their community and genuinely cared for their neighbors. Those qualities of small town living: generosity, genuine friendliness, lending a helping hand without question, and relying on a community are things I quickly learned to appreciate and am certain I will carry them with me wherever I go next. 


Grace (3rd from left) and some of her fellow AmeriCorps members serving in Montana's Hi-Line region

No comments:

Post a Comment