Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tech's Team Focuses on Teaching Life Skills to Youth Offenders


A first hand account of working with the Reintegrating Youth Offenders program. Written by one of Tech's Team Leaders, Heather Corcoran:

I was extremely nervous about going to RYO. I envisioned the inmates acting up and we would be caught in the middle. Yes, that sounds crazy, but thats how I felt. I also didn't know how they would act toward us. Would they accept us? Would they just sit there with an angry attitude? The first drive out there on October 18th seemed so long. My nerves were getting the best of me.
By the time we arrived, had a tour of the facility and were able to meet the staff, I was more at ease, that is, until we went into the first block. Seeing all of those faces just staring at me was intimidating. I was incredibly nervous, but once we started doing our first activity, things were falling into place. They were communicating with us through laughter and concern; my heart started to beat its regualr pace. Just as I was starting to get comfortable here, it was time for us to pack up and head to the second block. As we were leaving, they were all asking when we were coming back and telling us they had a good time. As we walked out there was one big "THANK YOU" from everyone. I SURVIVED! We were able to break the ice with the inmates that day and it was such a great feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment